The New Quarterly / Wild Writers
Silent Auction 2018
“#65 – Great Minds”
Acrylic Painting on Canvas
24″ x 18″
Original painting donated by Jeff Dillon, artist
Featured as Cover Image for The New Quarterly‘s Fall 2018 Issue (#148)
Valued at $1,500
All proceeds from the auction will go directly to The New Quarterly and help support some of the best new writers in the country. Our thanks to artist Jeff Dillon for his generous donation to The New Quarterly. Please visit his website to see more of his artwork.
About the Artist
Jeff Dillon is a Canadian artist best known for his vibrant use of colour and texture in his interpretation of wild landscapes and nature scenes, as well as in urban streetscapes and their architectural details.
From an early age Jeff developed a deep love of nature and animals. He began sketching the fields and farmlands around his home. Later, this developed into a fascination for weather patterns and the multi-faceted impressions that a change in weather has on the land. Themes of storms, cloud pat- terns, water movement, craggy coasts, and hidden groves come alive in Jeff’s paintings.
What began in youthful curiosity quickly became a passion for art and nature. Drawn by his love of the natural world Jeff studied horticulture and landscape design in order to deepen his knowledge of the world around him. Inspired by the natural world Jeff’s art has since expanded to include birds, animals, and figurative drawing. As Jeff’s skill as a painter grew so did the detail and vibrancy of his work.
Jeff describes his work as heavily influenced by European and Canadian landscape artists in their use of bold colour and style. He takes inspiration from both and applies his own style, by intensifying colour with illustrative flair.
“Great Minds” was inspired by a journey to the Trinity College Library, Dublin.
Rules of the Auction
1. There is a reserve bid of $500; if no bids exceed the reserve amount, the painting will be withdrawn from the auction.
2. Auction bidding begins at 12:01 a.m. Sunday, October 28, 2018 and closes at 9:00pm on Friday, November 9, 2018.
3. In making a bid, you acknowledge that you have read and agreed to the terms and conditions herein.
4. The highest bid amount will be posted and updated on The New Quarterly’s website while the auction is open.
5. Auction bid increments should be in multiples of $20, and will not be accepted if lower that the latest posted bid.
6. No bids may be cancelled after the auction closes.
7. The New Quarterly’s record of all bids shall be accepted as final.
8. The winning bid will be posted as final and no refunds are offered.
9. Payment may be made by cash, cheque, PayPal or special arrangements. Once payment has been processed, the painting will be released to the highest bidder.
10. Shipping costs are negotiable.